Watch a video from Ben Folds and British novelist Nick Hornby at Paste Magazine’s website. It’s called “Things You Think.” Special appearance by Pomplamoose.
Feist is working on a new album. According to Paste Magazine, she has moved into a mansion in Paris and is collaborating with Chilly Gonzales on the new record.
The Drums do a live cover of Arcade Fire’s “We Used To Wait” I’ll also add that you should check out The Drums’ new self-titled album.
The lead singer of The Killers is set to release a solo album called “Flamingo” on September 14. Spin Magazine has a the full album preview. I’ve heard the entire “Crossfire” track before and it made me pretty excited for this release.
According to Pitchfork, Caribou are releasing a double live album. The performance comes form last summer’s ATP Music Festival set.
+10 AUGUST ALBUMS YOU SHOULD OWN+
Paste Magazine’s list of 10 August albums you should own. I’m with them on Arcade Fire, Kathryn Calder (from The New Pornographers), Lissie, and The Weepies.
+CMJ MUSIC MARATHON & FILM FESTIVAL 2010+
Bands to play CMJ 2010 include: Surfer Blood, Lissie, Two Door Cinema Club, The Drums, Katzenjammer, The Blow, Angus & Julia Stone, Langhorne Slim, plus many more. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to go…
I have so many great cover songs in my iTunes so I decided to make a list of my favorites. Lists have always been difficult for me because I don’t like absolutes or black-and-white rankings. It’s very likely that if I sat down with these same songs and attempted the same list, the songs would be in a different order.
So I bring to you a fluid list of my favorite covers! The first 30 are roughly in order, while the rest are alphabetical. However, you should check out ALL of them
1. Youth Group - “Forever Young” (Alphaville) // LISTEN HERE
2. Bon Iver - “Come Talk To Me” (Peter Gabriel) // LISTEN HERE
3. Jeff Buckley - “Hallelujah” (Leonard Cohen) // LISTEN HERE
4. Johnny Cash - “Hurt” (Nine Inch Nails) // LISTEN HERE
5. Keane - “With Or Without You” (U2) // LISTEN HERE
6. Editors - “Lullaby” (The Cure) // LISTEN HERE
7. Tegan and Sara - “When You Were Mine” (Prince, Cyndi Lauper) // LISTEN HERE
8. The Gossip - “Careless Whisper” (George Michael) // LISTEN HERE
9. Rogue Wave - “Maps” (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) // LISTEN HERE
10. The Shins - “We Will Become Silhouettes” (The Postal Service) // LISTEN HERE
11. Mandy Moore - “Only Hope” (Switchfoot) // LISTEN HERE
12. Goldspot - “Float On” (Modest Mouse) // LISTEN HERE
13. Susanna and the Magical Orchestra - “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (Joy Division) // LISTEN HERE
14. Caesars - “Don’t Fear The Reaper” (Blue Öyster Cult) // LISTEN HERE
15. Peter Gabriel - “The Book Of Love” (The Magnetic Fields) // LISTEN HERE
16. Rock Kills Kid - “I Turn My Camera On” (Spoon) // LISTEN HERE
17. Tegan and Sara - “Tired Of Sex” (Weezer) // LISTEN HERE
18. Mates Of State - “Second Hand News” (Fleetwood Mac)
19. The Gossip - “Are You That Somebody?” (Aaliyah) // LISTEN HERE
20. Missy Higgins - “Learning To Fly” (Tom Petty) // LISTEN HERE
21. Mandy Moore - “Have A Little Faith In Me” (John Hiatt) // LISTEN HERE
22. The Cliks - “Cry Me A River” (Justin Timerlake) // LISTEN HERE
23. Tally Hall - “Smile Like You Mean It” (The Killers) // LISTEN HERE
24. Tegan and Sara - “Man With Two Brains” (The Rentals) // LISTEN HERE
25. Missy Higgins - “Moses” (Patty Griffin) // LISTEN HERE
26. The Donnas - “Dancing With Myself” (Billy Idol) // LISTEN HERE
27. William Shatner - “Common People” (Pulse) // LISTEN HERE
28. Sara Quin feat. Ted Gowans and Kaki King - “Sweetness Follows” (R.E.M.)
29. Lily Allen - “Don’t Get Me Wrong” (The Pretenders) // LISTEN HERE
30. Antony - “If It Be Your Will” (Leonard Cohen) // LISTEN HERE
A Fine Frenzy - “I Will Follow You Into The Dark” (Death Cab for Cutie)
Arcade Fire - “Born On A Train” (The Magnetic Fields)
Arcade Fire - “Maps” (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
Ben Gibbard - “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” (Cyndi Lauper)
Ben Gibbard - “The Saddest Story Ever Told” (The Magnetic Fields)
Ben Lee - “Kids” (MGMT)
Catie Curtis - “Soul Meets Body” (Death Cab for Cutie)
Damien Rice & Ray LaMontagne - “To Love Somebody” (The Bee Gees)
Death Cab for Cutie - “Free Fallin’” (Tom Petty)
Gemma Hayes - “Cloudbusting” (Kate Bush)
Greg Laswell - “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” (Cyndi Lauper)
Ingrid Michaelson - “Nightswimming” (R.E.M.)
Ingrid Michaelson - “Skinny Love” (Bon Iver)
Jem - “Maybe I’m Amazed” (Paul McCartney)
Jose Gonzalez - “Heartbeats” (The Knife)
Josh Ritter - “Blame It On The Tetons” (Modest Mouse)
Josh Ritter - “The River” (Bruce Springsteen)
Katy Perry - “Electric Feel” (MGMT)
Kristine Tuna - “The Company” (An Horse)
Lily Allen - “Naive” (The Kooks)
Love Spit Love - “How Soon Is Now?” (The Smiths)
Mandy Moore - “Umbrella” (Rihanna)
Marilyn Manson - “Sweet Dreams” (Eurythmics)
Mates Of State - “California” (Phantom Planet)
Mates Of State - “Technicolor Girls” (Death Cab for Cutie)
Natasha Bedingfield - “Chasing Cars” (Snow Patrol)
Natasha Bedingfield - “Somewhere Only We Know” (Keane)
Paramore - “My Hero” (Foo Fighters)
Passion Pit - “Dreams” (The Cranberries)
Peter Gabriel - “Mirrorball” (Elbow)
Peter Gabriel - “My Body Is A Cage” (Arcade Fire)
Placebo - “Running Up That Hill” (Kate Bush)
Regina Spektor - “Real Love” (John Lennon)
Ryan Adams - “Wonderwall” (Oasis)
The Shins - “Strange Powers” (The Magnetic Fields)
Sia - “Under The Milky Way” (The Church)
Snow Patrol - “Crazy In Love” (Beyoncé)
Tegan and Sara - “Dancing in the Dark” (Bruce Springsteen)
Tegan and Sara - “I Ran [So Far Away]” (A Flock Of Seagulls)
Tegan and Sara - “In Your Room” (The Bangles)
Tegan and Sara - “Rebel Rebel” (David Bowie)
Tori Amos - “Personal Jesus” (Depeche Mode)
Vivek Shraya - “Seven Nation Army” (The White Stripes)
William Fitzsimmons - “Heartless” (Kanye West)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - “Sheena Was A Punk Rocker” (The Ramones)
+TEGAN AND SARA+
Tegan and Sara: The talented ladies are selling the documentary equipment they used to make Forest Fone, Trailer Talk, Backstage Bilingual, etc. INTERESTED IN BUYING IT? Well then take a look over here. Currently a $6000 asking price. Think of all the Luna bars they could buy with that money! Or, you know, guitars and dance lessons…
Stereogum: Sufjan Stevens released an eight-song EP, “All Delighted People,” on Bandcamp. The EP can be streamed for free or purchased for $5 HERE AT STEREOGUM.
+MARINA & THE DIAMONDS+
According to Marina herself, filming begins Tuesday for the music video for her next single, “Shampain.”
Stereogum: Warpaint - “Undertow” live video at AS220 Foo Fest 2010 HERE AT STEREOGUM.
Stereogum: Best Coast makes a mixtape.
+ANTONY AND THE JOHNSONS+
Stereogum: Antony and the Johnsons, “Thank You For Your Love” music video. WATCH IT HERE.
Click on either picture to see the full photo album + videos.
Tegan and Sara
This was by far my favorite Tegan and Sara show that I’ve been to. The question and answer segment was refreshing and surprisingly educational. It was enjoyable to sit and listen to them answer questions and joke around.
The acoustic set was phenomenal. I shed a tear during “The Ocean.” They played it like the demo version (found on their upcoming “Home Recordings” vinyl release).
After a 20-minute intermission, they came back on and played a set with a full band. It was the best of both worlds. Before that night, my favorite show was a tie between their August 2007 Chicago show (my first ever) and their recent show in Kansas City this April.
It was a fantastic night, and I’d never before heard them sound so great vocally. Rock on, ladies!
Click the picture to see the full photo album.
We Are Scientists
As many people know, I pretty much love anything Peter Gabriel has ever done, not to mention the fact that “Mercy Street” is my favorite track of his. So I was a bit hesitant to give this cover a listen. I’m glad I gave it a try because it’s amazing and kind of reminds me of The Knife.
Elbow did a pretty cover of “Mercy Street” that came out sounding much like the original, which gains zero complaints from me. David Byrne covered “I Don’t Remember,” which turned out rather different from the original but in a way that works wonderfully.
On a related note, Bon Iver’s cover of Peter’s “Come Talk To Me” is by far one of the best covers I’ve ever heard.
Sometimes I feel like a giddy little kid on Christmas morning when artists I like cover other artists I adore.